Gotta Do It Legal

So I have the name - now what. Time to make the people at the state happy. If you are not using your own name as the business (for example Barb Talijan Designs) you must file for a fictitious name. Here's the link to file for a fictitious name in Pennsylvania and here's more information (for PA again). Just google it for your state. This costs money - first there is a filing fee with the state and then you have to advertise the name in local newspapers to see if there is anyone who has a problem with it.

Once I got notification that my name was copacetic, I had to register the business with the state. At this point you need to decide - sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, LLC, etc. A sole proprietorship can be registered under your social security number or a Federal EIN number.